Sunday, June 3, 2012

Spring Gardening and Another Spider Encounter



"I know that if odour were visible, as colour is, I'd see the summer garden in rainbow clouds."
~Robert Bridges, "Testament of Beauty"



Good morning gardening friends,

My garden is coming along slowly, but I am pleased with the transformation occurring as the season progresses.  The temps here last week were pretty high for this area (at one time reaching 93 degrees).  However, the high yesterday was only 65 degrees and I must admit a wonderful respite from the heat.

You know I love sharing my gardening experiences, both good and bad.  Last week I had an unpleasant experience with a spider (a gardener’s best friend).  I was kneeling on the ground trying to tidy up a small unused part of my garden (I am trying to create a shady garden corner) and experienced a sharp pain on my right calf.

As I looked down, I noticed a brown spider trying to retreat from the leg of my pants.  I used a trowel to fend it off and noticed it looked familiar.  I went inside to clean the bite and show my husband because I was bitten by a venomous spider a few years back and had a really bad reaction that required medical attention.

After that experience, he insisted on becoming an “arachnid expert” by researching venomous spiders for this area.  Guess what, it was a yellow sac spider. Not as bad as the brown recluse spider, but still not good. They hide in dry, woody areas and this is where I encounter my spider.

I am receiving excellent care, trust me. I feel loads better and I am looking forward to returning to my garden today. Although I admit to having a fear of the little crawlies, spiders beware; you can’t keep this gardener down!!!

Until next time, take care of yourselves, my friends,

Angela

P.S. For anyone interested, here’s a link with information about the spider:  http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2060A.html

10 comments:

  1. What an unpleasant encounter. I'm glad you're heeling.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I do not like spiders. The gardens here are full of them fortunately all of them non-venomous, just not my favorite bug. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh spider.... i dont particularly like spiders, but most spiders here are harmless.... the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a jumping spider that lived under my delete key for a while... I typed very carefully as he objected to deleting.
    I went to the site and read the part about removing bed skirts. After our remodel (due to a flood) the bed skirt did not make it back on the bed and now it is getting tossed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not nice to be bitten by anything but I do have a particle fondness for spiders ... I take them outside & free them into the garden whenever I can.
    Thanks for stopping by 29 Black Street !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...